[ntp:questions] ntp sync and NetworkManger

ramadog at gmail.com ramadog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:58:02 UTC 2007

Todd Partridge wrote:
> Fine evening all!  I'm having a little bit of a problem configuring.
> I not too long back got gentoo running and am real happy with this
> setup.  One of the first things II noticed is that it doesn't have all
> the detailed configurations that Ubuntu does.  Recently I've installed
> NetworkManager which is a beautiful app if you run a laptop, however
> using this now creates a bootup problem.  Since connectivity to the
> network doesn't happen till after the desktop is loaded  it nulls the
> script for ntp at boot time.  I noticed from ntp's man page I noticed
> you can run ntpdate as a cron-job.  Anyone had any experience with
> this? would this be the best way recommended?  or perhaps there is a
> different method I could be doing to sync my clock?

If you feel like a bit of reading you could look at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntp/+bug/90267

That is my bug report for ubuntu. It looks like you are running gentoo
but it might still be relevant. The conclusion near the end is that
networkmanager might down already running interfaces then bring them
back up. This gives the effect of network services including ntp being
started when there is no network. Without network manager everything
works as expected.

I came up with a few work arounds with my favourite being I uninstall
network manager as the first job on very new install I do. Another is
try a sleep 10 at the top of the ntp init script so ntp is delayed
enough for network manager to do its job.