[ntp:questions] ntp sync and NetworkManger

ramadog at gmail.com ramadog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 22:03:01 UTC 2007

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Todd Partridge wrote:
> > Fine evening all!  I'm having a little bit of a problem configuring.
> > I not too long back got gentoo running and am real happy with this
> > setup.  One of the first things II noticed is that it doesn't have all
> > the detailed configurations that Ubuntu does.  Recently I've installed
> > NetworkManager which is a beautiful app if you run a laptop, however
> > using this now creates a bootup problem.  Since connectivity to the
> > network doesn't happen till after the desktop is loaded  it nulls the
> > script for ntp at boot time.  I noticed from ntp's man page I noticed
> > you can run ntpdate as a cron-job.  Anyone had any experience with
> > this? would this be the best way recommended?  or perhaps there is a
> > different method I could be doing to sync my clock?
> >

> Try starting ntpd AFTER the network is available!

If it is the same problem I was having with ubuntu he is not doing it
deliberately. For some network manager works well. For others it is
something that should never get installed. As I stated in my other
post, one side effect of running network manager can be network
services being  started when the is no network.

James