[ntp:questions] Best practice: re-resolve server IP addressbefore each poll/query

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Jun 22 14:53:41 UTC 2007

>> I was wondering what the impact of such re-resolving behaviour would be
>> on the pool. Both cases are relevant, I think: best-practice recommended
>
>It would be a serious problem for clients of the pool as it would cause
>them to hop servers, thus invalidating the statistics previously
>accumulated, every time that TTL ran out.  pool names are expected *not*
>to resolve to the same machine on each request.

But if you set a high TTL for the pool DNS (say weekly or even bi-weekly)
then it would give the benefit of removing stale servers and when ntp
refreshed it *should* get a working server (since the pool has its own
health check).

>From what I hear people say, it seems like NTP is the one having to do all
the DNS resolution and whatnot locally? Wouldn't (or shouldn't) that be
handed off to the OS for some other process to do the lookup and manage the
TTL and cache and all that?

Jason