[ntp:questions] What is the best program for Windows XP?

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 18:43:54 UTC 2007

On Jun 22, 7:37 am, m... at privacy.net wrote:
> I want to synchonize my PC clock to pool.ntp.org under Windows XP.
> I don't need extreme accuracy; within a tenth of a second is plenty
> good enough.  If possible, I would like the software to calculate
> the fixed drift of my PC clock and do periodic updates without
> putting any un-necessary burden on pool.ntp.org.  Most of all, I
> want the software to be reliable.  Suggestions?

The built-in Windows Time Service can do 16ms resolution, and does
slew the system clock. If you're satisfied with that, and don't want
to install anything else, you can just type this at a command prompt:

w32tm /configure /manualpeerlist:"us.pool.ntp.org,0x1" /
syncfromflags:MANUAL /update

w32tm /resync /rediscover

You can replace the us.pool.ntp.org with <mycountrycode>.pool.ntp.org
as appropriate. The ",0x1" after the server name tells Windows Time
Service to use adaptive polling interval lengths, similar to the
"real" NTP.

Monitoring the Windows Time Service is a challenge, though. All you
get is a few event log entries at seemingly random intervals. The
Meinberg NTP binaries for Windows should be used if you need any
better accuracy or more advanced functionality.