[ntp:questions] ntp sync and NetworkManger

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:12:56 UTC 2007

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
> I don't know anything about the network manager but the order of
> bringing things up needs to be network, DNS (if on same system) and then
> NTP.

On this Fedora-7 system I do see NetworkManager getting started as one
of the last things in the boot sequence.  I don't see how this is
going to work well.

NetworkManager is a daemon that tries to be a dynamic routing program
for the local host. It is meant to find working interfaces and then
using some priority scheme decide which one to use for outdoing
packets.  In practice, I'm never seen it work at all, not just have
the glaring boot-order problem.

Boot order in Fedora is not very well thought out - other competing
programs to NetworkManager like wpa_supplicant are also started too
late in the boot order.  It isn't an isolated problem.  BSD's tend to
pay much more attention to getting stuff like this right and tend to
fix it faster.

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html