[ntp:questions] Release Candidate for new Windows Installer(4.2.4p3-RC1)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 14:05:54 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I uploaded a new version of the Windows Installer to our webserver,
> including the brand new 4.2.4p3-RC1 version of NTP. This is a release
> candidate
> version, I ask everybody to carefully test this release and let me
> know if you experience any glitches or errors. Please do not use it
> in life systems or production environments (no, not even in your
> local nuclear power plant controlling system!).
> This version includes the fix for bug #527 which prevented us from
> releasing a new stable version of ntpd for Windows for several
> months. The only special modification I added was a small fix that
> lets NT4 SP6 clients run this version as well (although Autokey might
> not work on NT4 machines).
> The new release will be called "foehr", simply because Foehr (in
> German: Föhr) is a nice island in the Northern Sea
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%B6hr) and exactly the place where I
> will spend two weeks of vacation
> (starting on Monday) ... hopefully chilling on the beach with my
> laptop and a decent wifi connection at hand :-)
>
> Please download the new installer version from here:
> http://www.meinberg.de/download/ntp/windows/experimental/ntp-4.2.4p3-RC1@foehr-o-win32-setup.exe
>
> And please do not link to this URL, I will remove this file as soon
> as I returned from vacation and created a new, official stable release.
> That one will be downloadable from our regular NTP download page at
>
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm
>
> As usual, you can contact me or my colleagues at Meinberg if you face
> any difficulties with the installer or NTP on Windows machines.
> Please contact ntp-support at meinberg.de !
>
> Best Regards,
>  Heiko

Heiko,

Many thanks for making this version available.

This release seems to be OK on Windows 2000 Prof, Windows XP Home and
Prof, but still has problems with Windows NT 4 SP 6 Server.  On NT 4, the
initial connection is made only to a server on the LAN, and not to the
servers on the Internet.  NTP then says synced to that local server.  A
few minutes later, that server shows with a reach of 370.  Then 360.
However, about 12 - 14 minutes after starting, a "No servers reachable"
message is logged in the Event log, and an ntpq -p shows that ntpd is no
longer synced.  Reach is then 0.

Cheers,
David