[ntp:questions] NTP absolute accuracy?

Juyong Do jdo at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 29 23:06:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

Does anyone know any survey or paper measuring absolute time accuracy over
NTP? I saw statistics about offsets, RTT, and dispersion but am not sure how
well those parameters reflect or are correlated with absolute accuracy of
each NTP servers and clients.

To my mind, the only way to measure the absolute accuracy (difference from
UTC or GPS time) would be to physically bring a GPS receiver to each NTP
clients and compare the timing bases. It is certainly not feasible for a
large scale survey but I guess there should have been someone who've done
this before. Let me know if there is.

Thanks,
Juyong