[ntp:questions] NTP behaviour when server is not synchronized

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jun 30 16:56:55 UTC 2007

>>> In article <1183141707.279603.228700 at n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Geir G <geir.guldstein at start.no> writes:

Geir> Please note that the servers are embedded devices and (at least to my
Geir> knowledge) don't run the NTP reference implementation. I don't think
Geir> they support peering.

OK.  Please tell me (in private email if you prefer) the vendor.

Geir> 2. Does ntpd behave correctly? Is a server's stratum used in any way
Geir> in ntpd's clock selection process?

H>  Yes.

Geir> Is that 'Yes' to both questions?

Yes.

H>  Have you visited http://support.ntp.org/Support/ConfiguringNTP?

Geir> Yes, I have. But sometimes it is more convenient to ask the experts
Geir> directly. Thank you for your answers Harlan.

OK, and since these devices may not be configurable it may not matter.  I
didn't realize that when I first wrote that line.  And as I gathered from
your followup post, you have found other useful information there to help
with your clients.