[ntp:questions] Authentication of time servers behind NAT / Firewall

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Mar 1 02:17:47 UTC 2007

Vanya wrote:
> Wondering what others might have to say about the possibility of
> authenticating a NTP server from behind a NAT/Firewall. We are setting
> up a system of certified email for cities in Italy. The authorities
> want us to show that the servers in the cluster handling the email
> traffic are communicating in an authenticated fashion with the local
> NTP servers (located in Pisa).
>
> As Mills, et al point out in the ietf drafts
>
>  "NPT associations are identified by the endpoint IP addresses ...
> natural approach is to authenticated associations using these values.
> For scenarios where this is not possible, an optional identification
> value can be used instead of the endpoint IP addresses. The Parameter
> Negotiation message contains an options to specify these data;
> however, the format, encoding and use of this options are not
> specified in this memorandum."
>
> Has any work been done on this issue? As it stands it seems we have to
> use a public IP address to authenticate using autokey with the NTP
> server in Pisa (using a NAT'ed address the authentication obviously
> fails). Anyway getting around this?

As Dave Mills will tell you the current authentication scheme uses the
IP address so you cannot use NAT'd addresses.

Consider creating an NTP server on your firewall that does not need a
NAT'd addresses and then point your internal ntp servers at that.

Danny

> Thanks.
>
> Be glad to offer a plate of pasta and a glass of wine (at one of our
> restaurants here in Rome) to anyone able to help us.

Love to though it's been a few years since I've been to Italy.

Danny