[ntp:questions] Double "prefer" configuration

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Fri Mar 2 16:21:06 UTC 2007

hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote:

> I haven't looked at the code in a while.  I think that the
> prefer-ed server gets stored in a global variable where
> the PPS/ATOM driver can get it.  Thus only the last
> one gets used.

There is a global, sys_prefer, but there's also FLAG_PREFER that
is marked in the config for each server with "prefer".  sys_prefer
gets set to the last server with FLAG_PREFER that survives the
clustering (?) algorithm.

In this case, it might be better to config the PPS source in ntp.conf
before the GPS source, so that if the GPS is good it will become
sys_prefer.

With the GPS inoperative and only the PPS running, there's no source
for numbering the seconds, which is what the prefer peer is supposed
to be doing for refclock_atom; I don't know if this is a safe config.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>