[ntp:questions] NTP client basic

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Sat Mar 3 09:51:14 UTC 2007

Peter Martinez wrote:
> Greetings to the list:
>
> I am an amateur programmer and a radio amateur. 18 months ago I
> needed to closely control the clock on my PC for a radio-monitoring
> application, and wrote an NTP synchroniser with Delphi, using an NTP
> component I found on the internet.  It's been running perfectly since
> then, keeping the clock within 10mS rms.
[]
> If these questions have come to the wrong place, would some kind soul
> point it (or me) in a better direction.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter Martinez
> NorthWest UK.

Peter,

I believe these questions are on-topic here.

I also wrote some NTP code using Delphi, and was fortunate enough not to
encounter the problem you mentioned.  Indeed, the XMIT timestamp is what
could be used to confirm the reply.

However, you didn't need to write any code at all, since the full NTP
implementation is already available for Windows:

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

and capable of excellent performance, even on my loaded systems:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

(These could do even better if I reduced the polling interval).  I also
made a simple GPS interface for my local reference:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm

I have often read about and admired your work.

73,
David GM8ARV