[ntp:questions] 3 Peer server at same stratum

Riccardo castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Sun Mar 4 10:17:31 UTC 2007

Ok, How is't possible that these three peer servers share time information
among themselves ?

For example:
Server "A" shall retrieve time information (for example "TI-1") from public
server of stratum 1 (ntp1.ien.it),
Server "B" shall retrieve time information (for example "TI-2") from public
server of stratum 1 (ntp2.fau.de),
Server "C" shall retrieve time information (for example "TI-3") from public
server of stratum 1 (ptbtime1.ptb.de),

TI-1, TI-2, TI-3 are three time information which are many similar but they
can't being the same time(for few milliseconds), so "two of them" must align
with the other in order to share time information, I think.
What's logic to select the server (among these 3 peers) which gives reliable
time to two others ?

Thanks Richard

"Richard B. gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:45E970D4.4040007 at comcast.net...
castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it wrote:
> If I have 3 time servers (at same stratum) in my lan where each server
> is indipendent and has set several NTP servers of stratum 1; I 'd like
> creating redundancy so I think to insert peer option (using symmetric
> mode) in ntp.conf for all 3 servers.

> peer B
> peer C

> peer A
> peer C

> peer A
> peer B
>
> I read documens about ntp but I have always some doubts.
>
> 1 - which NTP server (among these 3) become active ?

All three!

> 2 - The others two go into passive mode ?

No!

> 3 - What logic permit to the NTP server of these 3 to be elected
> active ?

All three are "active".   They share time information among themselves
and any one of them can serve time to clients.