[ntp:questions] 3 Peer server at same stratum

RICCARDO castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Mon Mar 5 09:25:02 UTC 2007

On 4 Mar, 11:54, Jan Ceuleers <janspam.ceule... at skynet.be> wrote:
> Riccardo,
>
> Riccardo wrote:
> > What's logic to select the server (among these 3 peers) which gives reliable
> > time to two others ?
>
> In your example, each of the TI-x servers in fact has three sources of
> synchronisation: the external (internet-based) server and the other two
> TI-x servers.
>
> Each of the TI-x servers applies the NTP algorithms (selection,
> clustering/filtering, combining, discipline) and serves time to clients
> and peers. Note that the time served by each server takes into account
> (i.e. is a combination of) the time stamps received from all of the
> survivors of the filtering algorithm (up to a maximum of 10, in ntpd at
> least).
>
> Cheers, Jan

> Each of the TI-x servers applies the NTP algorithms (selection,
> clustering/filtering, combining, discipline) and serves time to clients
> and peers.

But does each peer server (in comparison with others two servers)
serve same or different time to clients ?
I don't understand if these 3 peer servers synchronize themselves
among them establishing a share time.

Note that the time served by each server takes into account
> (i.e. is a combination of) the time stamps received from all of the
> survivors of the filtering algorithm (up to a maximum of 10, in ntpd at
> least).

For redundancy do you think that it's necessary to change stratum
level for each peer server (server A,B,C) of my lan ?
(for instance server A stratum 10, server B stratum 11, server C
stratum 12). What do you suggest me ?