[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:28:23 UTC 2007

On Mar 5, 2:15 am, "Ron C." <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
> I'm having visions of all the Covad customer-premises routers all over
> the country, sending NTP requests every 3 minutes to one or the other
> of the two default servers. I've successfully sent ICMP requests to the
> servers both from my network and from the router's built-in ping utility.

Well, those two hosts are clock.isc.org and bitsy.mit.edu. Assuming
Covad did not get permission to use those time servers, it could very
well be that MIT and ISC are blocking UDP port 123 requests from
Cogent's networks in retaliation. Can you try to use an NTP-specific
diagnostic from the same Covad connection, rather than just ping? If
you have a windows machine, it would be something like:
   w32tm  /monitor /computers:204.152.184.72,18.72.0.3
If that works, then the problem is definitely in the device and not in
the network somewhere.

Regards,
  Ryan