[ntp:questions] problem in ntpd in resoving pool.ntp.org

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 6 03:40:56 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-05, muruga <muruga86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> NTP configuration file
>
> server pool.ntp.org

This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... you
should use a minimum of 4 time sources (not including the LocalCLK). The
only time I'd rely on one time source would be if I controlled it.

> server 127.127.1.0 iburst minpoll 4 #use local clock

This has nothing to do with your apparent DNS problem, but ... 'iburst'
does nothing for ref-clocks.

> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 #reduce stratum for local clock
> restrict default nomodify notrap nopeer
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log
>
> when i execute ntpd and see the /var/log/ntp.log file i got the
> following lines "pool.ntp.org" no host name and host name cannot be
> resolved

Are you sure that your resolver / DNS is working correctly?

Did you install ntpd from a binary package or did you compile it your
self?

> but when i try to give by /usr/sbin/ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org it is
> resolved and i can see eight ntp servers replying back and setting
> time.

This, on the other hand, suggests that your DNS is working.

> why ntpd can't resolve while ntpdate works properly while contacting
> pool.ntp.org can any one help me

I don't see anything in your configuration file that would interfere
with DNS.