[ntp:questions] NTP client basic

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Tue Mar 6 07:14:17 UTC 2007

In article <ywn9abysmnsm.fsf at ntp1.isc.org> Harlan Stenn
<stenn at ntp.isc.org> writes:

>As I recall SNTP may send out a bunch of requests but then it believes the
>first answer it gets.  Any other answers should just be dropped.

The SNTP spec doesn't say anything about sending multiple requests as
far as I can see. The program called "sntp" in the reference
implementation distribution might do something like that, it was a while
since I looked at it, but it sounds like a really stupid thing to do -
if you send multiple requests, you should of course give all the replies
at least a chance to arrive, since you will then have a much better
basis for determining the actual time.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org