[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Wed Mar 7 02:50:59 UTC 2007

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message news:45ED67AB.7060203 at ntp.isc.org...
> Ron C. wrote:
> >
> > I went to ntp.isc.org web site and verified that clock.isc.org is a
> > stratum 1 server with open access and no notification required.  (An
> > open access time server may be used without restrictions by any
> > client in any location.)
>
> Really? Did you just ignore this part?:
> *ServiceArea: BARRnet, Alternet-west, CIX-west
> See:
> http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/ClockIscOrg
>
> *The geographic and/or network area your TimeServer is intended to serve.
>
> Open Access does NOT mean that you can embed it in any device that you
> want to sell.

If you click on the word "OpenAccess" under access policy on the site you included above, you're taken to a page that gives the definition I used.  You are right, there are hundreds of time servers all over the world and perhaps I should use a more appropriate one. However my problem is that none of the servers I've tried work (including 3 California based servers provided by NIST for new users).

Today I spoke with Netopia Tech Support and they say that the default servers work fine for them but they are not using Covad.  They told me I should contact Covad since it appears Covad is causing the problem (the same sync problem happens on my 2 different routers on 2 different circuits, a DSL and aT1).  I just called Covad and the person I spoke to said she was told this is normal and that they normally just set the time manually w/o using syncing.  I asked her to take a trouble report anyway, saying "you don't have to fix it; just give me an explanation of what is going on."