[ntp:questions] Trouble creating symmetric connection

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Mar 7 18:53:08 UTC 2007

>>> In article <87y7m8ap7g.fsf at kreon.lan.henning.makholm.net>, Henning Makholm <henning at makholm.net> writes:

Henning> Hm, on further experimentation it does work in two directions with
Henning> authentified messages. I tried this before without success, but it
Henning> works after I switched to a 'M' (md4) key instead of an 'A' (des)
Henning> key with the same password for the authentication. Are there known
Henning> bugs in the DES authentication code?

No, but md5 code is freely available and exportable, while DES is not.

I'd have to dig into the code to see if DES is still supported for private
key usage (ntp.keys file).