[ntp:questions] Trouble creating symmetric connection

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 20:48:07 UTC 2007

Henning Makholm <henning at makholm.net> wrote:

> > Better to make both symmetric-active:
>
> >   ntpdc -c 'addpeer B.B.B.B' A.A.A.A
> >   ntpdc -c 'addpeer A.A.A.A' B.B.B.B
>
> I though the point of "addpeer" was that a single association could
> transfer time in any direction (and I still have trouble reading
> the documentation any other way). If I need to make two associations,
> then why not just do
>
>   ntpdc -c 'addserver B.B.B.B' A.A.A.A
>   ntpcd -c 'addserver A.A.A.A' B.B.B.B
>
> i.e. what is the difference between a client connection and a peer
> connection if both are unidirectional?

I've nothing to add to Dave Mills' answer; I don't know what real
difference there is, but at least it makes it obvious what you
expect to happen, and both ends are clear about the relationship.

Side comment: why are you doing all the config via ntpdc rather
than putting it into the ntp.conf file?

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>