[ntp:questions] Start of Daylight Savings

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Thu Mar 8 20:29:05 UTC 2007

Riccardo Castellani wrote:
> On 25 MARCH Daylight Saving time will change in Italy (-1 hour)
> I don't understand if this modify is applied at UTC level or if it's
> my Timezone settings, which tells to my system local clock as soon as
> particular date time is reached (25 march 2007, 02:00) that time must
> be decreased one hour.
> If in my local settings I had set for example Japan (Japan doesn't use
> Daylight Saving time) I would have no time changing ?!

Correct - the changing of the displayed time is what the operating system
does in accordance with what you tell it, and what information it may
already have about "Italy", for example.  You could try software such as
the Windows Time Zone Editor (for example) to see how your own system is
configured:

  http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95KernelToy/Default.asp

Ciao,
David