[ntp:questions] ntpd for embedded system

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 9 01:48:05 UTC 2007

muruga wrote:
> Hi,
>      i am using ntpd for an embedded application, where i have a
> constraint on size. how can i use timezone and ntp log file with out
> consuming too much space. In pc time zone file consumes 6MB and ntplog
> file is unrestricted(can any one confirm). is there any predefined
> limit for ntplog file and optimum way to use time zone files.

Timezone? NTP doesn't know what a timezone is. It only knows about UTC.
As far as NTP is concerned you can get rid of that. How come it's 6MB in
size? What OS are you running and what version? There is no ntplog file
for ntpd. It uses the syslog for Unix and the Eventlog for Windows. You
can send output to /dev/null if you don't want it.

All in all I think you may not be running the reference implementation
of NTP.