[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Sat Mar 10 10:22:36 UTC 2007

My semi-explanation of what is going on is based mainly on the Covad tech-support statement that the private IP (172.19.x.x) which Covad imposes on the WAN side of the router for my type of circuit (multiple routable IPs on the LAN not NAT) coupled with Netopia's default, firmware implemented, and inflexible programming causes the built-in NTP to fail.  Hopefully, someone at Netopia will see this thread and fix their firmware in a future release so that the built-in NTP can be made to work with Covad's IP setup for this case.

I did try pointing the built-in NTP at one of the hosts on my network and recieved the same "cannot SEND" log message.  However, I don't have an NTP server on my Win98 network.  If you know of a program for Windows 98 send me the url and I'll try it.  But I doubt it will make any difference, based on Covad's statement.