[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 14:12:28 UTC 2007

Ron C. wrote:
> My semi-explanation of what is going on is based mainly on the Covad
 >tech-support statement that the private IP (172.19.x.x) which Covad
imposes
 >on the WAN side of the router for my type of circuit (multiple
routable IPs
 >on the LAN not NAT) coupled with Netopia's default, firmware implemented,
 >and inflexible programming causes the built-in NTP to fail.  Hopefully,
>someone at Netopia will see this thread and fix their firmware in a future
 >release so that the built-in NTP can be made to work with Covad's IP setup
 >for this case.
>
> I did try pointing the built-in NTP at one of the hosts on my network and
 >recieved the same "cannot SEND" log message.  However, I don't have an NTP
 >server on my Win98 network.  If you know of a program for Windows 98
send me
 >the url and I'll try it.  But I doubt it will make any difference, based
 >on Covad's statement.

http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/ExternalTimeRelatedLinks#Microsoft_Windows

It's not listed as being supported on W98. It may or may not work.  Why
in the world are you still using W98? It was obsoleted seven years ago
by W2K which offers much better reliability and W2K has since been
obsoleted by W/XP which is still better.  Ntpd is available for both W2K
and W/XP.