[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Sun Mar 11 02:51:53 UTC 2007

"Richard B. gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message news:45F2BCCC.3050806 at comcast.net...
>Why
> in the world are you still using W98?

My 1996 $6000 Laptop is only 133MHz. I've used trial versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 on it but they're way too slow scrolling through documents; even Win98 slowed things down noticibly compared to Win95; also the sound driver didn't work and Toshiba had no XP update.

>It was obsoleted seven years ago

but supported until last July.

> by W2K which offers much better reliability

 Win98 works with my hardware and has been reliable enough.  As an added bonus, which I'm now spoiled by, the tiny fan broke years ago so it's as quiet as a PDA.  This is very important when it's on 24/7.

>and W2K has since been
> obsoleted by W/XP which is still better.

I think you mean more feature-rich if you have the hardware to support it.  I've made several visits to CompUSA over the years and marveled at how sluggish the XP machines behave even with 1 GHz processors.  When I click on something it's as if the XP machine is saying "aw shucks, you want me to do something...well ok just be patient while I run through several million lines of code to figure out what you want."

I agree it's about time to upgrade.  Applications and web pages have become too complex (and inefficient) for a 133 MHz chip.  I'm looking into a 1.5 GHz Vista Ultimate machine from OQO, which is still not powerful enough to run Aero-Glass.  If it feels sluggish, well, I still have my Win98 disk!  I just hope I don't notice the sound of the fan.