[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Michael L. Semon mlsemon33 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 11 05:51:02 UTC 2007

Ron C. wrote:
> "Richard B. gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message news:45F2BCCC.3050806 at comcast.net...
>> Why
>> in the world are you still using W98?
>
> My 1996 $6000 Laptop is only 133MHz. I've used trial versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 on it but they're way too slow scrolling through documents; even Win98 slowed things down noticibly compared to Win95; also the sound driver didn't work and Toshiba had no XP update.
>
>> It was obsoleted seven years ago
>
> but supported until last July.
>
>> by W2K which offers much better reliability
>
>  Win98 works with my hardware and has been reliable enough.  As an added bonus, which I'm now spoiled by, the tiny fan broke years ago so it's as quiet as a PDA.  This is very important when it's on 24/7.
>
>> and W2K has since been
>> obsoleted by W/XP which is still better.
>
> I think you mean more feature-rich if you have the hardware to support it.  I've made several visits to CompUSA over the years and marveled at how sluggish the XP machines behave even with 1 GHz processors.  When I click on something it's as if the XP machine is saying "aw shucks, you want me to do something...well ok just be patient while I run through several million lines of code to figure out what you want."
>
> I agree it's about time to upgrade.  Applications and web pages have become too complex (and inefficient) for a 133 MHz chip.  I'm looking into a 1.5 GHz Vista Ultimate machine from OQO, which is still not powerful enough to run Aero-Glass.  If it feels sluggish, well, I still have my Win98 disk!  I just hope I don't notice the sound of the fan.

Get NISTime for your Win98 PC.  The URL is here:

ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/daytime/nistime-32bit.exe

It can be configured to use NTP servers as well as daytime servers.  It
can be configured to contact a selected time server at periodic
intervals.  This might be the way to go if you just need a close
approximation of time and not millisecond accuracy.  If you tinker with
it enough, you can get it to run completely in the background, too, but
the method isn't completely obvious.

Assuming that you have Client for Microsoft Networks installed on the
other PCs in your network, you may be able to use this command to get
time from your PC:

net time \\your_pc /set /yes

It's simply more polite to do it this way than to install NISTime onto
every PC on your network.

As for XP, it can be made to run quickly on modern hardware.  It likes
the same things that both Win95 and Win98 liked: more memory, more
processor, faster hardware, fast video drivers, startup programs
removed, animations and other visual tricks disabled, virus scanners set
up to scan files at the right time, and so on and so forth.  Don't base
your opinion on a CompUSA demo PC:  It was probably set up to woo people
with eye candy, plus there's a lot a software preload junk that hasn't
been removed yet.

I'll leave it to others here to push the virtues of FreeBSD or Linux on
an old boat-anchor PC to serve the time and be a 24/7 print server...

Michael