[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Sun Mar 11 09:55:44 UTC 2007

"Michael L. Semon" <mlsemon33 at verizon.net> wrote in message news:aNMIh.1477$Tq5.232 at trnddc02...

> Get NISTime for your Win98 PC.  The URL is here:
>
> ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/daytime/nistime-32bit.exe
>
> It can be configured to use NTP servers as well as daytime servers.  It
> can be configured to contact a selected time server at periodic
> intervals.  This might be the way to go if you just need a close
> approximation of time and not millisecond accuracy.  If you tinker with
> it enough, you can get it to run completely in the background, too, but
> the method isn't completely obvious.

Yes I've been using it for years.  I got it to run in the background (sort of) by using another free program called "Icon Corral".  This thread was about syncing my router which gains 8 min per day.

> As for XP, it can be made to run quickly on modern hardware.  It likes
> the same things that both Win95 and Win98 liked: more memory, more
> processor, faster hardware, fast video drivers, startup programs
> removed, animations and other visual tricks disabled, virus scanners set
> up to scan files at the right time, and so on and so forth.  Don't base
> your opinion on a CompUSA demo PC:  It was probably set up to woo people
> with eye candy, plus there's a lot a software preload junk that hasn't
> been removed yet.

You're right. I believe that the Black Viper had some great advice on how to set up XP for gaming.  His website disappeared but others have mirrored it.  However, my experience speaks for itself.  With the same hardware (133 MHz CPU and no fancy graphics chip), this is how these four OSs compare: Win95=snappy, Win98=sluggish but usable, XP and Server 2003=completely unusable.

> I'll leave it to others here to push the virtues of FreeBSD or Linux on
> an old boat-anchor PC to serve the time and be a 24/7 print server...

Shhhhhh.  My computer says "who you callin' a boat anchor?  Besides I'm already a 24/7 print server and keep my time sycn'd just fine, all in the background.  I could do a lot more, but my owner hasn't learned any programming since FORTRAN."