[ntp:questions] PPSAPI on Linux 2.4.34

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Sun Mar 11 12:12:51 UTC 2007

All,

I've been having tons of trouble getting the PPSAPI to work under Linux
2.4.34. I've applied the 2.4.32 patches, recompiled the kernel and ntpd,
and have reached the stage where ntpdc -c kern shows nano as one of the
status flags.

I have however just noticed that the serial driver was probably not
being compiled with the right options, because if it is compiled as a
module CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL if #undef'd, whereas
CONFIG_NTP_PPS_SERIAL_MODULE is #defined instead. I _think_ that this
causes serial.c to skip all of the PPS code (and indeed: the serial
driver startup line in /var/log/messages does not show the PPSAPI flag).

Morale: if you need PPS support don't compile the serial driver as a module.

Cheers, Jan