[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:31:31 UTC 2007

On Mar 12, 3:52 am, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertw... at t-online.de>
wrote:
> You do not get that kind of endurance out of newer hardware. NADA, never.

Well, that's sort of hard to disprove, because newer hardware hasn't
had time to run as long. But I do have several white-box 450 MHz PCs
from 1999 in my organization that run XP just fine, no new hardware
required. That's 7+ years without a whimper. Of course they were
loaded top-of-theline machines back then.

If anything, my experience is that newer hardware is *more* reliable
than 1990s era hardware. I remember replacing NICs, RAM sticks, HDs,
and even Mobos all the time back when I worked the help desk in 1996.
These days, our help desk guys have to do a hardware level repair
about once a month (with a similar user population).

---
RPM