[ntp:questions] TZ var not working with ntp time server

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Mar 12 21:20:26 UTC 2007

> From: craigwharding at gmail.com
> Date: 12 Mar 2007 13:53:32 -0700
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.isc.org
>
> I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
> "Canada/Newfoundland" then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock
> one hour before the actual time.
>
> Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
> other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.
>
> My ntp.conf:
> server time.nrc.ca
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift
> logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
> logfile /var/log/ntp
>
> My TZ variable:
> TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

It's getting a bit boring to see this posted again and again, but NTP has
no idea about time zones, daylight saving time, or anything except
UTC. If you system is 1 hour off, i is an issue with your local
zonefiles not having been updated to know about the change in the start
of DST.

You need to load the latest zonefiles onto your system, use zic to
compile them and install them as is appropriate to your OS. (I have no
idea what that might be, although it looks like some Unix like OS.)

All together now: ntp does not do time zones.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)