[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 13 03:47:00 UTC 2007

Erik wrote:

> Hello Danny, (Steve,)
>
> While on the clients three keys are defined, I assumed that the
> server's broadcast
> should incorporate all three
>
> This is - as you already stated - clearly not so (additionally
> confirmed by Richard in last posting who also mentions the use of only
> one key)
>
> But... should I then understand the client's key-list as an OR list?
> I.e. OR
> this key, OR that key OR that key THEN server broadcast can be
> 'trusted'
> In other words: I can just pick one key out and use it on the server
> to send along in broadcast?

You can only specify one key for the broadcast server. That's the key
you need to use for each of the clients. You don't have any choice here.
Look at the confopt.html file for details of this. Broadcast servers can
only send one key (same servers).

> Something else: I have looked at the Meinberg Timeserver which you
> advised to use on my Windows 2000-system (being the server),
> this because it has a Windows Installer
> I have installed it and tried it out yet I can not see where I can
> define the key to be incorporated in the broadcast

All configuration optiond are defined in ntp.conf. Windows uses the same
file.

> Can you please give me a hint on how to set up the server (Windows PC)
> The clients are already set up as broadcastclients with three keys
> defined in ntp.keys (1, 2, 15)

Just set up the one that the broadcast server uses.

Danny

> The server should use 'broadcast' and send along (apparently) one key

Yes.

> Kind regards
> Erik

Danny