[ntp:questions] TZ var not working with ntp time server

Moe Trin ibuprofin at painkiller.example.tld
Wed Mar 14 02:54:15 UTC 2007

On 12 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp, in article
<1173732812.225330.39600 at p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
craigwharding at gmail.com wrote:

>I'm in the Newfoundland timezone and exporting the TZ variable to
>"Canada/Newfoundland"

which is the wrong syntax for TZ - but you didn't read 'man 3 tzset'
among other things.

>then restarting the ntpd process keeps my clock one hour before the
>actual time.

And as others have pointed out - NTP has nothing to do with time zones
or Daylight Saving Time - NTP is UTC.    END OF DISCUSSION ABOUT NTP
AND TIME ZONES.

>Is there a problem since the Day Light Savings came into affect the
>other day? My computer's time has been an hour behind ever since.

You don't bother identifying the operating system which looks like
Linux, and if so, what distribution and release.  ALL Linux distributions
provided updated timezone files for their supported releases nine months
ago - and if you feel that keeping releases up to date is not important
why are you bothering about it NOW?  If all else fails use the search
engine you are posting from to locate one of the hundreds of thousands
of threads in Usenet where people suddenly discover that the timezones
have changed,   then go to ftp server at elsie.nci.nih.gov and get the
files from the /pub/ directory - you want BOTH

-rw-r--r--   1 8800     0         189109 Feb 26 14:09 tzcode2007c.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 8800     0         158198 Feb 26 14:09 tzdata2007c.tar.gz

>My TZ variable:
>TZ=Canada/Newfoundland

man 3 tzset

        Old guy