[ntp:questions] Local Time

wiechman.spam at gmail.com wiechman.spam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:51:49 UTC 2007

On Mar 14, 2:05 pm, ober... at es.net (Kevin Oberman) wrote:
> > From: "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200... at gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:18:23 -0700
> > Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.... at lists.ntp.isc.org
>
> > > Most systems keep internal time in UTC and I am hard pressed to think
> > > of any recent system that doesn't.
>
> > Just for the record.
>
> > Unfortunately linux (at least the fedora flavor of it) has a bit or
> > wrong-think creeping in, in this regard.  The clock chip defaults to
> > local time and the kernel knows the TZ offfset and has some
> > compensation.  Uhg.
>
> > Obviously, for the sake of keeping sane, I've elected to have my
> > system (virtually) located in England.
>
> If Fedora keeps time anything like BSD, there is a flag that indicates
> that the hardware clock is set to local time and not UTC. But the kernel
> still operates on UTC. It simply uses the time zone information to set
> the hardware clock. (In FreeBSD it is dependent on the existence of
> /etc/wall_cmos_clock on the system.)
>
> But the system still uses UTC for everything except reading and writing
> the hardware clock and the offsets used are still controlled by the zone
> files.
>
> This was done for dual boot systems which need to boot Windows which
> sets the hardware clock to local time. I have this only for my laptop
> (which is dual boot) and all Unix-only systems have the hardware clock
> set to UTC.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: ober... at es.net                     Phone: +1 510 486-8634
> Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4  EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751
>
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> 1KDownload

We need ntp to serve out the local time. We have around 1500 wireless
radios that don't provide the ability to set an offset. Not the end of
the world, but then everything in the logs and elsewhere is dated in
UTC which is a real pita - confuses the hell out of some of our
installers.

When you say use fudge... you mean what exactly?