[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Erik e.van.duijn at heineken.nl
Wed Mar 14 21:20:47 UTC 2007

On 13 mrt, 23:39, Tom Smith <s... at cag.zko.hp.com> wrote:

> This means you need:
>
>     broadcast [broadcast-address] key [keynumber]
>
> Add "version 3" to the end if your clients are exclusively running
> NTP V3 (unlikely).
>
> Think of the broadcast address as the last address in the subnet.

ok Tom, thanks for the clearifying comments
I pretty much understand it but not quite, therefore the following:

The clients that need to be time-corrected reside in the following
address-ranges:

145.47.51.[016-167]
with netmask 255.255.255.128

145.47.52.[032-175]
with netmask 255.255.255.128

145.47.53.[076-091]
with netmask 255.255.255.194

- Does the above require me to use more than one broadcast-address?
- Does the broadcast address always need to be the highest address
covered by the netmask-address?
- These broadcast-addresses: are they claimed/occupied by the
broadcast-command just as if they were the address of a PC in the
network?
i.e. they can not be used anymore by other clients in the network?
- does this result in certain requirements for the PC's network
address hosting the broadcast service (server). That is: does this PC
have to have this same address or not?

I am sorry; pretty much a newby on this terrain  I'm affraid

> Why don't you just look at how the previous server was configured
> (the one that was in use by the existing clients) and copy that?

There was no time server before this one; the clients were just
prtepared for such a service, the service itself was never there.
Therefore, no possibility to peek...

Thanks once again
Erik