[ntp:questions] Max polling time

Paul.Croome at softwareag.com Paul.Croome at softwareag.com
Thu Mar 15 08:54:16 UTC 2007

Riccardo,

Yes, that's right. NTP uses adaptive algorithms to modify the polling
interval.
Usually it starts at 64s and then, at a rate depending on lots of
factors,
increases to 1024s (steady-state).

For details, see slides 4 and 13 of
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/brief/clock/clock.ppt
and also slide 35 of
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/brief/flow/flow.ppt

There's a lot of science in NTP and I would discourage you from
modifying
minpoll/maxpoll unless you have plenty of experience with NTP and
a very good reason for doing it.

Paul