[ntp:questions] "right" time zones

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu Mar 15 19:05:01 UTC 2007

In article <newscache$gajyej$7m9$1 at news.rootshell.be>,
 <lliks at labogcbs.net> wrote:
>my question is why would anyone wnat to use those right timezones?

If you modified ntpd to call posix2time() and time2posix() in the
right places when computing offsets, and disabled ntp's leap-second
handling, your system would actually show the correct time around leap
seconds rather than the wrong time required by POSIX.

Since nobody does this, many vendors do not ship the leap-second
cognizant data files.  We disabled this in FreeBSD more than a decade
ago.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry