[ntp:questions] Max polling time

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 20:57:51 UTC 2007

RICCARDO wrote:
> I'm going to set Minpoll and Maxpoll time in my ntpd.conf for my NTP
> internal server (MASTER) which must be synchronized to external
> servers (stratum 1 or 2), because I think 64s is too low so i want to
> increase it.
> I have another 2 internal time servers (A, B) which must be
> synchronized to my MASTER server.
> Clients will use A and B servers.
>
> Which time do you suggest me for A, B and MASTER servers ? I know that
> these values represent degree of 2.
> Maxpoll ?
> Minpoll ?
> Are These option supported in ntp 4.x in Fedora Linux ?

It is generally a BAD IDEA to change the default values of MINPOLL and
MAXPOLL.  NTPD will change the polling interval to the value within
those limits that is best suited to the existing situation.  When ntpd
is first started all the servers will be polled at intervals of MINPOLL
seconds.  As ntpd gains confidence that it knows what time it is and
which are the best servers, it will increase that polling interval.  If
conditions (primarily network delay times) change, it will adjust the
polling interval for best performance.