[ntp:questions] Curious change in traffic

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 15 21:36:12 UTC 2007

Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a slightly strange effect
over the last few weeks.  Here are some NTP stats from a former NTP
server of ours, plotting the iostats shown by ntpdc:

        http://www.maths.tcd.ie/local/admin/mrtg/ntp/salmon-pps.html

This machine is still used by a lot of "legacy" clients. For the
last few yeas, its stats show that it usually sends and receives
the same number of NTP packets. Since sometime about late Feb/start
of March, it has been sending more than it receives, which is a
little strange.

I've no real ideas what might be causing this, other than maybe
some software upgrade that's been performed as a consequence of the
recent TZ change. I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas as to
a possible cause?

	David.