[ntp:questions] howto register ntp server in dns server

news.xs4all.nl maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Mar 16 09:30:39 UTC 2007

"nurr" <nurr97 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1174034916.624151.241520 at o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

>  if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server?
> using BIND in FreeBSD?
>
> in my zone file i put
>
>    mydomain             IN NS ntp.mydomain.net.
>    ntp.mydomain.net.    IN A 202.187.22.111
>
> am i right?

No. Being NS is a job for a nameserver, not a timeserver. A and CNAME
records are free. The (first) domain in the first line is different
from the one in the second line.

And I don't know exactly why, but my zone file doesn't seem to need
the FQDN on every line, just the local name. ...Otherwise, I grudgingly
admit, that second line looks okay. (-:

But this is a DNS/BIND question, not an NTP one. If you're confused,
by all means go read a book about it.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink