[ntp:questions] howto register ntp server in dns server

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Mar 17 03:09:00 UTC 2007

news.xs4all.nl wrote:
> "nurr" <nurr97 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1174034916.624151.241520 at o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>  if anybody can tell me how to register ntp server in dns server?
>> using BIND in FreeBSD?
>>
>> in my zone file i put
>>
>>    mydomain             IN NS ntp.mydomain.net.

This needs to be the Registered Nameserver for the domain. You require
two different ones to register the domain.

>>    ntp.mydomain.net.    IN A 202.187.22.111
>>
>> am i right?
>
> No. Being NS is a job for a nameserver, not a timeserver. A and CNAME
> records are free. The (first) domain in the first line is different
> from the one in the second line.
>
> And I don't know exactly why, but my zone file doesn't seem to need
> the FQDN on every line, just the local name. ...Otherwise, I grudgingly
> admit, that second line looks okay. (-:

It's not necessary to qualify the label with the domain name. The DNS
server will do that for you. It makes maintenance much easier. If you
put in a FQDN and it's not in the zone you will get an out-of-zone error.

> But this is a DNS/BIND question, not an NTP one. If you're confused,
> by all means go read a book about it.

Agreed.