[ntp:questions] Linux-2.6 kernel and ntpd-4.2.0

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 13:42:36 UTC 2007

Jammer wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> I've heard of reports of Linux *losing* time rapidly.
>>
>> I recommend you visit:
>>
>>  http://ntp.isc.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP
>>
>> and pay particular attention to the "known hardware issues" and "known
>> operating system issues" sections.

> Thanks, I will check it out. :-)
>
> It is 22:10 local time and the computer running ntpd says 1:30 the next
> day.

Conclusion: ntpd is not running!  When the error is greater than 1024
seconds, or about seventeen minutes, ntpd will take a panic exit.

Suggest starting ntpd with the "-g" option which will cause it to set
the clock unconditionally.  This ensures that you at least START with
the correct time. Also, make sure that you have configured at least four
different servers.

After ntpd has been running for between thirty minutes and one hour, say
"ntpq -p".  Capture the output and post it here.