[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

vrkid0 at gmail.com vrkid0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:00:47 UTC 2007

Hi

  I've installed ntp 4.2.4p0 on an OpenBSD 4.0 box and I'm having some
problems:
1. If I run the ntpd binary it, sometimes, doesn't start and doesn't
report about problems. When I run it with -d it always works. If I run
it with ktrace (strace equivalence) it always works.
2. running ntp client commands (I tried ntpq and ntpdc), regardless of
switches, takes a very long time (about 5 minutes). Even if ntpd isn't
or if I run it with -n (ntpq) switch.
There aren't any resolution problems on the computer in question.
Anyone know why this is happening?

PS - I know that OpenBSD has OpenNTP, and I don't want to start a
flame war on the history of NTP on OpenBSD and OpenNTP: I have a
hetrogeneous network with linux and Solaris systems and admins that
are familiar with the standard NTP.

TIA
Paolo