[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Mar 19 08:53:10 UTC 2007

Again, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't start"?

>>> In article <1174285741.649498.183020 at e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, "vrkid0 at gmail.com" <vrkid0 at gmail.com> writes:

vrkid0> Hi If it was a resolving issue than the -n switch would have
vrkid0> absolved me from the problem.

Why do you think this would matter?

vrkid0> We have several Solaris and Linux
vrkid0> servers on the same subnet with the same resolver (DNS) setup and
vrkid0> none of them has the same problem.

That does not mean there is not a problem on this one machine, however.

vrkid0> I also noticed from my first
vrkid0> post that ntpd failed with segmentation fault (running it with ntpd
vrkid0> with -d) and it's not a hardware issue (as other operating system
vrkid0> (Linux/Windows) worked on this hardware for months without a
vrkid0> problem.

Do you still have that core file?  If ntpd was compiled with symbols a stack
backtrace would be useful.

vrkid0> I reduced ntp.conf to the bare minimum (see below) and I'm
vrkid0> still experiencing the slowness on the openbsd system.

By "slowness" you mean the delay before ntpq responds?

vrkid0> Running ntpq
vrkid0> -pn from another linux (or solaris) server on the same subnet
vrkid0> returns a reply immediately.

To the same server?