[ntp:questions] Synchronize clocks without a reference clock

Spoon devnull at localhost.com
Mon Mar 19 09:17:43 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

Consider a cluster of computers on a LAN. These computers have no
acess to a reference clock (no Internet, no GPS, etc).

One could still want to have all their clocks synchronized, even if
this means they are all slowly drifting away from the "real" time.

I've read a FAQ which seems to describe this use case.
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-refclk.htm#AEN4264

All I need to do would be to add these lines:

server 127.127.1.1		# LCL, local clock
fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 12	# increase stratum

to my configuration file? Did I understand correctly?

Regards.