[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

vrkid0 at gmail.com vrkid0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:16:04 UTC 2007

Hi

On Mar 19, 4:53 am, Harlan Stenn <s... at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> Again, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't start"?

> vrkid0> Hi If it was a resolving issue than the -n switch would have
> vrkid0> absolved me from the problem.
>
> Why do you think this would matter?
  Because the -n switch means forces not to try and resolve the
addresses and when there is resolving issues on a system using it
avoid dealing with resolving timeouts.

> vrkid0> We have several Solaris and Linux
> vrkid0> servers on the same subnet with the same resolver (DNS) setup and
> vrkid0> none of them has the same problem.
>
> That does not mean there is not a problem on this one machine, however.
   True, but reduces the possibility of resolver issues to almost
none. There isn't any firewall active on the system. Other software on
the same system doesn't have resolver issues and works fine.  I did
another test: I changed the system network configuration to aquire
it's setting from a DHCP server. ntpq still the same thing.

> vrkid0> I also noticed from my first
> vrkid0> post that ntpd failed with segmentation fault (running it with ntpd
> vrkid0> with -d) and it's not a hardware issue (as other operating system
> vrkid0> (Linux/Windows) worked on this hardware for months without a
> vrkid0> problem.
>
> Do you still have that core file?  If ntpd was compiled with symbols a stack
> backtrace would be useful.
   It's not a core file. It's a system call trace file, I can
reproduce it if someone is interesting in helping me debug the
problem.

> vrkid0> I reduced ntp.conf to the bare minimum (see below) and I'm
> vrkid0> still experiencing the slowness on the openbsd system.
>
> By "slowness" you mean the delay before ntpq responds?
    Yes. 5+ minutes, regardless of ntpd running on or not.

> vrkid0> Running ntpq
> vrkid0> -pn from another linux (or solaris) server on the same subnet
> vrkid0> returns a reply immediately.
>
> To the same server?
   Yes to the same OpenBSD server.

TIA