[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 20 02:49:36 UTC 2007

vrkid0 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
>   If it was a resolving issue than the -n switch would have absolved
> me from the problem. We have several Solaris and Linux servers on the
> same subnet with the same resolver (DNS) setup and none of them has
> the same problem.
> I also noticed from my first post that ntpd failed with segmentation
> fault (running it with ntpd with -d) and it's not a hardware issue (as
> other operating system (Linux/Windows) worked on this hardware for
> months without a problem.
> I reduced ntp.conf to the bare minimum (see below) and I'm still
> experiencing the slowness on the openbsd system. Running ntpq -pn from
> another linux (or solaris) server on the same subnet returns a reply
> immediately.

I suspect that your clock is too far off for ntpd to correct and it
exits. Try running ntpd with the following options: -gN
The -g allows it to reset your clock even if it exceeds the normal
threshold. The -N merely lets it run at high priority. Also take a look
at your drift file. If it exceeds 500 it can also cause you problems.
This does not look like a DNS problem based on your ntp.conf file.

Dany