[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 20 03:22:30 UTC 2007

vrkid0 at gmail.com wrote:
>> By "slowness" you mean the delay before ntpq responds?
>     Yes. 5+ minutes, regardless of ntpd running on or not.

It is possible that there is a DNS problem but it's hard to know. There
was a recent bug fix related to DNS lookups translating IP addresses to
names. It may not be your problem but it's worth testing. Try the
ntp-dev 4.2.4p16 build and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I'd
look at the outgoing and incoming packets using Wireshark (Ethereal) for
both DNS and NTP.

Danny