[ntp:questions] Authentication

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 21:25:38 UTC 2007

On Mar 20, 1:01 am, hal-use... at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> Congress passed a law saying that stock brokers have to time-stamp
> transaction traceable to NIST.  I assume NIST is expected to cooperate,
> either by funding from Congress or a pay-for-service system.
>
> Why wouldn't NIST want to publicize the procedure for getting
> authenticated time?
> Even with a pay-for-service system, but I'd still expect a web page
> describing how to sign up or who to contact for more info.

In government, the left hand is rarely informed about what the right
hand is doing. The number of self-contradictory laws and policy
documents which even a small municipality produces is staggering.

If there does in fact exist a new law that implicitly requires NIST to
offer authenticated NTP: my guess is some hard-working, well-meaning
group of science-oriented persons at NIST is expected to read the
thousands of pages of the congressional record produced every month,
and interpret any "implicit" statements in that record into explicit
courses of action for NIST. It is therefore unsurprising that some
things get overlooked ;-).

"Democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that
have been tried." -Sir Winston Churchill