[ntp:questions] ntpd with Intel SpeedStep and AMD PowerNow, any updates?

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:36:28 UTC 2007

Given that almost all new desktop, laptop, and server hardware (AMD,
Intel, even the new UltraSPARC T1) is now shipped with some form of
variable clock-speed power management enabled, it would seem that ntpd
needs some method of coping with this feature sensibly.

Looking at
   http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownHardwareIssues#Section_9.1.2.
and also the list archives, it seems there is no current solution
other than to disable such features or run ntp periodically in a cron
job.

Given that these features can cycle the processor clock speedf by a
factor of two or more, isn't this still a big problem? A look at the
changelog included with 4.2.5p19 didn't seem to indicate that any
fixes for this were in place.

Wouldn't falling back to using the (limited resolution) of the timer
interrupt in the presence of SpeedStep or PowerNow be good default
behavior?

All of my current servers with -like features run w32time on Windows,
but we are going to be introducing some new Linux servers soon, and I
am concerned that I will be effectively without ntpd on these boxes.

Regards,
Ryan