[ntp:questions] FAQ Error (Was: Re: ntp behaviour at startup)

Wed Mar 21 09:59:08 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:

> On 2007-02-05, mills at udel.edu <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
>
> > marknmbox-88 at yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >> I see a single line and a single chart in NTP FAQs that discusses how
> >> long after startup until NTP reaches a good and stable value. That
> >> line is
> >>
> >> "Also keep in mind that corrections are applied gradually, so it may
> >> take up to three hours until the frequency error is compensated"
> >
> > The good thing about faqs is they are quick and dirty; the bad thing is
> > they are sometimes wrong.

What exactly do you think is wrong there?

> In this case, the text cited above is located at
> http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm

Actually the quote also says " (see Figure 3)."
(http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm#FIG-NTP-INIT)

As the file name http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/ntp35f-init.png might suggest, the
version used was xntp-3.5, and I apologize for the lack of a legend on the X
axis.

As the sources of the FAQ also say:
 <imagedata revision="2000-09-28" fileref="ntp35f-init.png" format="png">

it's obvious that this was almost sevel years ago. However, as HP still ships
xntpd (AFAIK), that numbers may be valid still.

Regards,
Ulrich