[ntp:questions] Synchronize clocks without a reference clock

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Mar 21 20:43:06 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-21, Spoon <devnull at localhost.com> wrote:
> Richard B. gilbert wrote:

>> That will cause ntpd to serve the local clock.   You can, instead, use
>> something called orphan mode in which several machines agree on a
>> common, but not necessarily correct, time.

The documentation, at
http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/manyopt.html#orphan, says nothing
about orphan mode providing a way for serveral hosts to agree on
anything.

Orphan mode provides a way for a group of hosts to choose a "leader"
from their ranks (i.e. the group of orphans). The criteria used for
selection is the orphan root delay, which is determined randomly at
start-up.

> As far as I understand, orphan mode works through broadcast, correct?
>
> If I have a pair of computers A and B in different subnets, and they can
> only talk to each other, then my only option is to configure A to serve
> its local clock, and B as a client of A. Is that correct?

"Orphan mode is intended to replace the need for the local clock driver.
It operates in subnet configurations in ALL MODES, INCLUDING BROADCAST,
and multiple servers and clients and handles seamless switching as
primary sources fail and recover."